On coming from Manresa, Ignatius entered Barcelona through the “Portal Nou” in the medieval wall, near the place where at present the “Arc de Triomf” stands. He walked along the “Carrer del Portal Nou” at the end of which several medieval arches still stand, coincided with Ancient Saint Augustine Square.
In the ‘Plaça Sant Agustí Vell’ a watering place for cattle can be found. The site and present layout are the same as the original, even if the old stones have disappeared.
This is ‘Plaça de la Llana’ where Agnes Pascual's home was located. Here, Ignatius lodged during his three long stays in Barcelona, was on the “Carrer dels Cotoners” (Cotton Dealers Street). The opening of the “Carrer de la Princesa” (Princess Street) in the 19th century required its complete demolition. The room where Ignatius stayed was probably at the level of one flight up of the house presently on the corner of the street now called St. Ignatius Street.
It was demolished in 1847 to build a series of bourgeois buildings by the Countess at the time, also known as former Palau del Temple. In addition to the Templar vestiges, the Chapel of Santa Maria de Palau keeps a small bench and two mattresses that were used by Ignatius during his stay in Barcelona, and most appreciated by its current Jesuit administrators.
The ‘Plaça de l’Ángel’ is close to the Basilica, towards Via Laietana on Argenteria street. At the beginning of the 20th century the Via Laietana was built and the Bòria street was cut. At n. 3 of this street was the Center for General Studies where Master Ardèvol would teach Ignatius.
During his first stay in Barcelona, when Ignatius looked for spiritual people to talk to, he visited the Vall d’Hebron Hieronymite Fathers at their hermitages in the Sant Genis dels Agudells mountain, around the village of Horta. This monastery was completely demolished during one of the many revolutions throughout the 19th century. However, the Hermitage of St. Cyprian still exists and it is called the ‘Ermita de Sant Cebrià d'Horta’.
Where the Carrer Carders (Carders St.) becomes Carrer Corders (Ropemakers St.) the Marcus Chapel can be found. It was built in 1166, according to the will of Bernardí Marcús, in which he commands his children-heirs to finish it. Before the gates of this chapel, those entering or leaving the town would make a stop either to ask for protection or to thank Our Lady of the Guide or ‘Mare de Déu de la Guia’ for a good trip.
The ‘Basilica dels Sants Màrtirs Just i Pastor’ was the place where Ignatius went to listen to a sermon in March 1523, before embarking for Jerusalem. Many of Ignatius's meetings with prominent women of Barcelona, who helped him during his studies, were held here.
The ‘Basilica of Santa María del Mar’, a magnificent temple of Catalan Gothic architecture, was built from 1329 until 1383. Before the side door of the Basilica there is Mirallers street, on which Jerónimo Ardèvol lived, Ignacio's Latin teacher. Currently the central nave is clear, which gives it the grandeur that characterizes, but in San Ignacio's time it was occupied by a great chorus of wood.
The ‘Seu’ is the Gothic Cathedral which houses the archbishopric of Barcelona. Under the presbytery of the church is the crypt of Saint Eulalia, which was finished in 1339. In Ignatius' times this was the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, where he spent long hours of prayer.
From March 7, 1907 on, the truesword that Ignatius left at Montserrat, together with his dagger and sword belt, were kept in this church, although the last two elements disappeared very early on. Antoni Gaudi was President of the selection committee which had to decide who would design the vaulted niche. The sword, including its hilt where the sword guard is missing is 115 cm. long. Visibly apparent are the marks YY (Yñigo Yañez), that was Ignatius' name before his conversion.
Prima Squadra SL | CIF 67029322
+34 646 848 860
+1 301 800 0929